Tuesday, April 20, 2010

I think I'm turning Japanese

Turning Japanese, I think I'm turning Japanese, I really think so. This kept replaying over and over and over in my head yesterday as we tried to make our way through the one million Japanese that filled Shinjuku station at 5pm. I actually still can't get it out of my head. The station was so packed with people that I felt the beginnings of an anxiety attack or fainting spell coming on.

For Justin, it's more wanting to complete the oft recited "Domo Arigato" with Mr. Robato. And now Elle, too.

After spending nearly 2 complete days indoors and clearly beginning to lose our minds, we finally got out yesterday afternoon.

First, we made a test outing, just down the street to Lee's. It turns out that our favorite (by default) restaurant in Japan is actually Chinese. I don't know why it wasn't obvious to me, I guess everything Asian is starting to blend together a bit. While eating today, I suddenly realized why everything there tasted so good, it was cooked heavily with MSG. I got really grossed out and in turn turned Justin off as well. It's our last time going to Lee's. Unfortunately, I think that much of the food cooked here in Asia is still heavily laced with MSG. Hours later the aftertaste is still with us.

However, our outing was a success, so later we headed to Roppongi, to check out my old neighborhood. I had read much about the changes to Roppongi and knew that many large indoor commercial spaces had been built along with lots of upscale housing. Since it was raining outside, it seemed like a good choice. I was happy to see that my old street has not changed, and it brought back a lot of memories... the walk towards Tokyo Tower, my old grocery store, the nightclubs... The newer developments were modern and beautiful with lots of gorgeous shopping and great restaurants and my biggest, happiest find in any Asian cities - an import grocery store! You can't find pasta, oatmeal, or good bread in typical grocery stores, amongst other things we deem necessary to life! So, we loaded up on goodies and headed home.


One thing I still can't find though is import baby food. I find the types on offer here amusing and sometimes disgusting. Liver, rice and pickled turnips anyone? Or strained rice, seaweed and shrimp? Luckily, Liam prefers real food to baby food anyway, but a few jars would be useful.

And it turns out that Tokyo-ites are just regular people too, the display we saw on Saturday in Shinjuku and Harajuku seems to be limited to those areas and to be reserved for a weekend show. During the week, and in most other areas, they are quite normal.

1 comment:

  1. Too many Japanese huh?? Lol
    Well hope all is well.
    I can hear Justin now , with his Japanese.
    To funny.
    Take care

    ReplyDelete