Monday, February 1, 2010

Arrived in Auckland!

And are we ever glad!!! We are so happy to be here. We are in our cozy, air-conditioned, clean, modern hotel room. We had an excellent meal out, an ice cream, and a delicious bath. I think we will sleep well tonight. We are exploring Auckland in the morning and then hoping aboard the camper in the afternoon.

So, the Fiji topper is -- as we were preparing to leave our house, Maureen suggested we go check in the bags and leave our carry-on's and the baby with her (he was sleeping), then come back and wait for our flight. The airport was just across the road from our house. So we did. We had come to trust Maureen implicitly, nothing was ever taken or out of place while we were there.

Well, she waited until the last day to RIP US OFF. She stole $360 US out of my wallet while we were checking in our bags. I could not believe it. I had just counted it before we left, placed it in the bottom of my bag and put many things on top. Including Elle's bright red dvd player. When we returned, the DVD player was out of my bag. This set off an alarm in my head and I checked my wallet. Sure enough, over half my money was gone. I am certain she took it. We left on a very bad note. I told her it was missing and I insinuated that I knew it was her. She really barely denied it.

I am in shock, Justin's not. He's shocked I trusted her at all. In fact, he had just said to me the night before.... "if anythings going to go missing, it'll be tonight or tomorrow". Sure enough! We left Fiji on a sour note, sadly.

Anyway, we are in New Zealand and happy to be here!

8 comments:

  1. I feel so sad and terrible for you , that it had to end this way. I guess like they say be careful who you trust.
    Am happy you are in New Zealand and loving all the comforts.
    Enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Remember not everyone is how they appear.
    Hugs to all xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH no! That is so awful! I am so sorry! I guess just move ahead and look back at Fiji as quite an experience all around. Have fun in Auckland! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I guess I should say have fun in New Zealand, as you're probably already heading to Campervan North Island? Post some pics as soon as you can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that sucks big time! but at least she didnt steal the baby!!!!!!!!!! have fun in New Zealand I am sure it is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, Molly that went through my head actually! I thought, at least the kids are ok:) Now that we are in NZ, I am less angry. She's stuck on Fiji and we are here. That seems fair to me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That really bites the big one... Like Molly said,
    at least she didn't take your kids.. Glad you are
    back to civilization. Things are getting more normal.. I'll email you..Love to all

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awe that is terrible. Terrible the money was stolen, that she did it and that it is one of your last memories of Fiji.

    I am excited to hear about the next leg of the trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. New Zealand and Australia... Gosh I wish I was with you. I love Australia. We had to take video of the toliets because they flush opposite of ours. I know that sounds crazy.... But us old people are... The poeple are nice BUT..... Beware they do like to to rip off Americans we was told. After FIJI I am sure you will be careful... I can not believe she did not give up the money after you confronted her...
    Peace and Happiness will follow...

    ReplyDelete