Thursday, February 11, 2010

Parasailing




Paragliding over Queenstown was maybe not as thrilling as bungy jumping would have been, but it was exhilerating. Justin kept the kids below and I rode the gondola to the top of the mountain. 10 minutes later without signing or reading a single release form and without any amount of explanation of the procedures, I was harnessed into the paraglide and directed to run forward as fast as I could directly off the side of the mountain. I took a moment to double check that I was securely strapped in and stepped forward. Within a few steps, the wind had picked up the parachute and we were in the air over Queenstown. It took my breath away for a moment, but then I was competely in awe of the views. We caught a thermal (air pocket) almost immediately and sailed even higher, almost 1000 feet higher than where we launched from. It was gorgeous but starting to get a little scary. I didn't think we were ever going to stop going up. On the way down the guide did a couple quick turns and spins, enough to induce minor and temporary queasiness on my part. Landing was quick and easy, it was obvious that my tandem guide had been doing this for 13 years!
Elle was schedule to do a boat parasail later in the day with daddy, (although she really wanted to do the paraglide) but it was cancelled because the wind picked up. Another day.

5 comments:

  1. One Brave girl you are!!!!!
    Love the pics.
    Kinda makes me a little queasy just seeing the pics.
    Good going though.
    Love ya, YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!
    So happy for you and you look very relaxed to me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you!!! Looks amazing, you two are becoming quite the daredevils! Now, as for Elle that doesn't surprise me at all. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. So proud of you for being daring. Looks like
    fun. I would love to do that, but always a little
    frightened..Lets skype soon. Love and miss you

    ReplyDelete