Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Beauty and the Beast







Our outing to the resort was a success. A cool, clean pool, lunch on the deck and major rainshower to cool us off and pick us up. On the way to the resort, about 45 minutes south of us, we passed the international date line. Attached is a pic, Elle and Liam are in today and Sonia in yesterday. For purposes you can imagine, the dateline was moved to the East so the entire island can remain in the same day. However, this is where the true line falls.
We've had some incredible rainshowers, and last night some impressive thunder and lightning. The rain mixed with sun has given us some beautiful rainbows. One appeared yesterday as I lay under the bure getting a massage. Magical!
Last night, however, nearly pushed me over the edge. As I was putting our food in the compost trash bin below the sink, a rat lept out of the bin towards me, ran over my food and out the door. Ok, it was probably a mouse, but rat/mouse, it makes no difference to me. I shrieked loudly (Sanger family, think the bar in Rome shriek-like), and the caretakers came to see what was the matter. They laughed at me and left. I stuck my foot in the shower to clean it off, but still this morning I can feel the awful fur against my foot. I'm not sure I can throw food in that bin anymore without tremendous trepidation. I heard critters scurrying all night long. Surely most of them were the harmless geckos that are everywhere, but still...
Today, the sun is shining and the beauty of Fiji is speaking to us again!




5 comments:

  1. Cute and beautiful pictures. Liam looks almost as big as Elle in the one. Grandpa says he looks just like his momma. You know where I would be staying. Leave me at the resort and you know I would not go back in the house. Well maybe but very cautiously and searching everywhere. Plus looking to buy tons of rat poison somewhere. All aside though another adventure in paradise. Love to all. xoxox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, that is the cutest picture of Liam! I don't like the rat/mouse encounter at all! But, remember they are more afraid of you then you are of them...ha, ha...sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can totally relate to the scare and the shriek.
    I've heard it before....The kids are loving seeing
    the photos and reading your stories..Love and
    miss you all

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't believe how BIG Liam is! Fiji definitely agrees with him.

    So will you still come over when we get pet rats?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, of course! Just don't let them leap out at me.

    ReplyDelete