Monday, March 22, 2010

A nice day in Hong Kong

No, not the weather. If anything, the "mist" today was the worst yet. No, it was a nice day because we decided not to do anything. Elle and I did her homework at McDonald's, as is our routine here in Hong Kong and on our way out I discovered a Chinese Massage/Reflexology shop. Within minutes Justin and I both had appointments. It is not an overstatement to say that this was the best massage/reflexology treatment I've ever had. I wish I would have found this place the first day, at $20 for 45 minutes, I probably would've been here daily. The service was top notch.

Later, since I still didn't really understand why people consider Hong Kong such a shopping mecca, I decided to visit one of the malls which we have so shunned during our stay. I don't know why, but something about being indoors at a mall just turned us off. Once inside, with the air conditioning, lighting, familiar stores, it just felt like we could be anywhere. We wanted to be in Hong Kong, not in a New Jersey mall. What I didn't understand is that these malls are Hong Kong too. They are so much a part of Hong Kong. And now I get it. I got it. Hong Kong is a mega shopping mecca. It's not just the malls, it's the street markets, it's the luxury stores lining the streets (there are 8 Louis Vuitton stores in HK!), the chains we recognized, the small stores we did not. Shops are everywhere in Hong Kong, front and center and hidden away too in underground subway stations, in apartment complex basements. Opportunities to shop are everywhere. There are more shops per person in Hong Kong than anywhere else on earth. And trust me, there are a lot of people in Hong Kong. I think what we were looking for were the rumored incredible bargains, and the fact is that they don't exist anymore. I don't know why, but I have learned that something changed in the past few years and the bargains just aren't the same. But that does not change the fact that the shopping itself IS incredible.

I took Liam to the mall, Elle and Justin stayed home and planned to meet me there for dinner. Justin was sticking to his guns, he didn't want to go to a mall and would only eat there because I insisted. Once I stepped inside, I couldn't believe it, I was in a shopping frenzy. Of course, Liam chose that moment to decide he no longer liked his stroller and he didn't like shopping at all thank you very much. My agreeable baby was suddenly very disagreeable. Despite that, I did manage to shop a bit. We all met at an American burger restaurant and from the look on Justin's face as he approached I could tell that he too liked the mall! We had a great meal and shook our heads as we walked out.

My opinion of Hong Kong softened today. I think I've been trying to do too much, as is my tendency to a fault. Once we relaxed, and took it easy, everything started to make more sense. The massage was amazing, I finally understand why people like to shop in Hong Kong, and the people of Hong Kong impressed me today. I realized or acknowledged to myself how friendly they are, how helpful they are, how curious they are about us, and how they really are happy that we are here.

I like Hong Kong. I don't love it, but I do like it. Maybe someday we'll come back, maybe. I hope the skies turn blue again.

1 comment:

  1. YEAH!!!!!!!!! Too bad it wasn't found sooner for you guys.
    But you have found some very interesting places and gotten some wonderful pictures and made some beautiful memories.

    To bad about Beijing, sounds terrible and very depressing . Can't imagaine how those people can make it such horrible conditions. Just be careful and wear a mask on the kids. They can be just like Michael Jackson's kids. You and J should wear one too. Love ya xoxox

    ReplyDelete